MSC Graffitti is a collaborative project of The Professional Association for Design (AIGA), the College of Architecture, and Students Serve*. Begun with the goal of beautifying construction on campus and allowing the closure of the Memorial Student Center to be seen in a more optimistic light, MSC Graffitti will provide Texas A&M University students the opportunity to paint unique pieces of art onto tarps to be hung on the construction fences surrounding the MSC. The artwork will be displayed throughout the semester and then auctioned off to raise money for a local group supporting the arts. Students who wish to submit proposals should keep in mind that the final work should appeal to a majority of people (as in no iconography).
If you’d like to paint:
- Submit a concept sketch (no larger than 8.5 x 11in) of what you plan to paint and submit it by Monday, February 15, 2010 at 5pm by either emailing it to MSC.Graffiti@gmail.com or dropping it by ARCC 108. Make sure to include your Name, Classification, Major, Email Address, and Phone Number with your submission. Note: this is not an advertisement. If you are working with an organization, your work will not be chosen if it is determined to be considered as such.
- You will be notified by Thursday, February 18, 2010 if you were selected to paint and asked to sign up for a painting time.
- All painting materials will be provided. The paintings will range in size depending on the number of interested students. We should be able to inform you of your plot size before we paint but plan on being flexible.
- Painting days will be Saturday, February 20, 2010 from 4 to 10pm and Sunday, February 21, 2010 from 9am until 6pm. Due to the nature of the tarps, certain people will be asked to paint at certain times so we don’t have people colliding into one another. If there is a conflict with these times, alternative arrangements can be made. You will be given all of the details upon your selection.
- The tarps will be hung the following Tuesday or Wednesday, February 23 or 24, 2010. You will be notified as to what time so you can come and see all your hard work pay off!
Check out the blog at http://mscgraffiti.blogspot.com/
Any questions, comments, or concerns should be addressed to Raechel Schneider at MSC.Graffiti@gmail.com.
*Students Serve is a a national 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC that gives money to college students so they can make a difference in the community. Without their help this project would not be possible. If you’d like to make a donation or find out more information about Students Serve please go to http://www.studentsserve.org/